Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Day 24 April 30 to spring Mountain Shelter

After spending the night in a cabin by the Creek in Hot Springs I had breakfast and set about to get ready to leave.  I mailed a package home.  It was my down vest that I don't need now since it getting warmer.  I also mailed my bounce box to my next destination in Irwin Tennessee. 

After having some lunch at the this little restaurant that was attached to the cabins I set out at 12:30 for the ten miles to the place where I would camp.


Crossing the French Broad River brought memories of when I did it back in the early '80s.


The river is almost out of its banks.


There was a lot of climbing!  The first was 2000 ft followed by two 500s.

At one point I came upon a little lake. 


I saw my first snake. 


And then it rained.  I couldn't wait to find the shelter.


Alas, it was full so I pitched my tent and had dinner of rice and broccoli while the rain continued.  I hope it's sunny tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Hoping you get some sunshine today!
    Pauline (Wilson)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul, I am so happy for you! This is really amazing. I agree with Pauline...hoping for sunshine! Ashley Marble

    ReplyDelete