Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Day 1 Springer Mountain to Horse Gap

The first day started with Jim Ballew driving us to the parking lot one mile North of Springer Mountain, the southern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. In steady rain that lasted until we arrived we  followed Georgia's finest four lane and two lane roads that led us to narrow,winding, and bumpy Forest Service road 42.  As we parked the rain let up.



Nevertheless we donned rain gear and started the 1 mile path ( actually the AT itself) up to the top of Springer.  There we took pictures and I singed the register. Many do so with their "trail name" so I followed suit: The Archer. As we left we met about a dozen others who we're starting their trip north.


We back tracked our steps to the parking lot.



There is I said goodbye to Jim.



I started north and in three miles came to  Stover Creek Shelter.  There I had lunch and talked with the others that we're trying to stay dry from the drizzle.


Setting out again I continued along a path that was surrounded by rhododendrons and oaks.  


 Wild flowers are just starting to peak out.



In seven miles I came to Horse Gap, a Forest Service parking lot. I decided to continue seven tenths further so as to be off of the road.  The rain let just long enough for me to pitch camp.  I had a supper of Mountain House beef stew and went to sleep.  

Distance: 12 Miles

1 comment:

  1. And so "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step." Lao-tzu
    I hope the miles are filled with contemplation! Kathy

    ReplyDelete