Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Day 2 Horse Gap to Dockery Lake Trail

During the night the rain stopped and the moon appeared directly over head.  The wind was hollowing throught the trees first from the south and then from the North.  In the morning the temperature was 43 F.  

Got up, had a breakfast of bananas and cream oatmeal (not bad) and hot chocolate.  Then the first order of business was to start drying all the wet clothes.  This I did by putting on  my dry silk layer and then the dry pants and amazingly dry rain pains. On top I put the silk shirt and then then Odlo synthetic shirt then the down vest.  This way I was able in comfort to stuff the sleeping bag, deflate the air mattress and pillow and pack the pack.  Then on went the rain jacket and down came the tent and I was ready to start walking.  So I took off the down vest, put on my still wet shirt and synthetic insulated vest and rain jacket and set out. It was 9:00 am.  By mid morning my clothes we're dry. 

The morning saw lots of ups and downs. But there we're some nice views through the still bare trees.


Second order of business was to find water as I went through my first two liters.  I found a nice spring with beautiful clear water.


I stopped at 11:0 in a nice sunny spot and had a snack and changed socks.  The white flowers I saw yesterday are now fully open.


Had lunch at Gooch shelter and set off at 2:00 pm.  Late in the afternoon I came to a high over look and got a great view.


I finished the last couple of my 12 miles and pitched camp.


I had a supper of Knorr "Pasta with Butter" and olive oil.

Distance: 12 Miles

1 comment:

  1. "The mountains are calling and I must go." John Muir

    Such a contrast: students and resumes are calling me! I sit in my inside office on fhte 8th floor and can look through a transom and a suit-mate's window to see....smog over Dallas. Enjoy today's walk! Kathy

    ReplyDelete