Saturday, April 12, 2014

Day 5 Chattahoochee Gap to Tray Mountain Shelter

A big day with three climbs. The morning was warm at 50F.  Saw a beautiful sunrise from my tent.


"When morning guilds the skies, 
my heart awakening cries,
Let Jesus Christ be praised."

This is the first night I spent with others where I camped.  I met a father and daughter from Wisconsin.  Peas already did the AT with here husband in 2004 and now she's spending the first four days with her father Papa Peas on his AT attempt.

Today the trail is very rocky as I made my way up to the top of Blue Mountain (3906) and then down to Unicoi Gap! (2949).   There I said goodbye to Peas but will hopefully see Papa Peas in a few
Days.  A number of hikers caught a shuttle to Hiawassee.  I continued on to Rocky Mountain (4017) then down to Indian Gap (3113). 

The trail has been very rocky.  I kept thinking if this is rocky, what will Pennsylvania be like since it's supposed to be very rocky.


The country here is very steep and full of deep ravines. There are lots of rock outcropping.


In to the top of Tray Mountain (4430) and camped near Tray Mountain Shelter with about twenty hikers.  Trail magic came the first of three section hikers who brought sandwiches, chips, cookies and beer.

Distance: 11 miles


No comments:

Post a Comment