Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Day 35 May 11 Camp Riff-Raff

During the night I had a night visitor. I woke to hear some sniffing around tent so I gave a yell to scare it off and heard it scamper away. I can only think it was a bear.  The reason for this is according  other hikers staying in the shelter nearby that had been visited by two bear cubs.  As well another hiker about a half mile away had his food bag shredded by 3 bears.  But he has foolishly hung it dived feet above the ground to protect it from rodents.

It was very damp this morning.  So I packed up damp gear and headed out for what was supposed to be a twenty mile day.

I saw the earthen Watauga Dam.


Some mayapple blossoms.


I think wild chrysanthemums


Some flowers I don't know.


But at the end of the day the big surprise was coming upon the Riff-Raff hiking club that was doing major trail magic.  They gave us salads, pastas all kinds of drInks (including barley pop).  Quite a fun crowd. So much fun that I cut my day short by 2 miles and camped in their camp. 



Total distance: 445.9 miles

1 comment:

  1. pink flowers are Wild Geranium, white flowers are Star Chickweed. You may run into two other forms of Chickweed: tiny ones call Mouse-ear Chickweed or a medium one just called Chickweed.
    loving your journey~ Eagle-eye Woman of Spot

    ReplyDelete