Monday, July 14, 2014

Day 99 July 14 Camp past Guinea Brook

In the morning the rain had stopped so I broke camp and started off for Kent, where I was to see an outfitter about replacing the tips on my trekking poles.   But before getting there, the clouds lifted and gave a beautiful view.  


Before going to Kent, I met some hikers who I've known for a number of weeks ; Thor the Red, and Lotus.  They took off and I went to town.  Then I returned to the AT and set off to catch  them.  But they were going to Pine Swamp Shelter, but I knew I would make that, so I aimed for Caesar Brook.  On the I scrambled up through a narrow crack, similar to the Lemon Squeezer.


But I never made it to Caesar Brook.   It started to rain.  When I got to Guinea Brook I had to take a detour around it  because there was not bridge, only stepping stones  It was rain swollen and I didn't wanted to risk fording it.   It kept raining and  feeling quite soaked, I camped past Guinea Brook.

However, the big event of the day was that I had a growing feeling the I had had enough of the trail.  "I don't want to walk anymore" was what I thought.  The discomfort of always being wet, the ever presence of mosquitoes and flies, the pain in the left heel which  had really worn me down not to mention the tremendous ruggedness of the AT all took their toll.  

That evening, I had a cold supper.  During the night I decided to take a night in a hostel. I called Hudson and Big Lu who have the Bearded Woods Bunk and Dine to see if they had space for me to the next night.  They did and they would pick up me up a Rt 7.

Distance 15 miles
Total Distance : 1475 miles

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. We will continue to prayer for strength for you for each day. Ross & Pat

    ReplyDelete