Saturday, July 30, 2016

Day 30 to Osgood campsite

The day started late because we "work for stayers" ate at 8:30 with the hut team.

After breakfast I packed up at set out for the summit of Mount Washington. It was a beautiful day. 
Beautiful day


Along the way the kind Forest Service people reminded us of the dangers of this mountain. 

There were a couple of small lakes to pass left over from the last glacial period. 


Even though Mt Washington has its dangers, it is visited by hundreds of thousands of people each year. There a road and a cog rail way. On top there is a visitors center complete with restaurant. There is a museum and a shop selling curios.   But all that didn't spoil my climb.


Then there was traverse of the other "presidentials". (Mt. Jefferson, and Madison). There would be 2500 ft of descents and climbs. 


After Mt Madison came the long rocky descent. There have been few boulder fields that were more difficult. 




The spot for the evening would be Osgood campsite, 3000 ft below the Presidential  ridge.  I arrived around. 7 pm.  Pitched my tent on the platform that the campsite manager gave me. I boiled water under my vestibule, ate and went to sleep after a long hard day.

Miles: 10.3
2016 miles : 366
Total AT miles : 1865.0







No comments:

Post a Comment