Friday, July 29, 2016

Day 29 to Lakes of the Clouds Hut

Today would be a 14 mile day. So I packed up, ate and left at 5:30 am. As I left the campsite I passed the Pond that lent its name and there was a group of hikers all looking at the water.  One whispered to me that there was a moose out on the pond. It was a big bull. Look hard.


After a short and really pleasant descent of two miles I began the long 3000 ft climb up to Mt Jackson (4052 ft )


My goal was Lakes of the Clouds hut another 1000 higher. It right below Mt Washington so I not allowed to camp because of the protected tundra. 

I passed by Mizpah hut and ate my fill of leftovers from lunch and lots of lemonade.  


As days this was just a long climb. Almost no descents. And the trail was
only rocky and smallnboulders for short distances. 


I arrived at LOTCs as 5:30 pm and asked for a "work for stay."  That is where they feed you and let you sleep on the floor of the dining room in return for work.  I swept the dining room and cleaned and organized the big refrigerators (this hut has room for over 50 people. 

That evening the sunset was beautiful. 

Miles : 13.9
2016 miles 355.7
Total AT miles: 1854.7

No comments:

Post a Comment