Friday, July 27, 2018

Day 16 to Pleasant Pond lean-to

Up at 5:30 to be sure to be and the Kennebec River ferry by 9:00.  It was only 3.7 miles to Kennebec River but I heard there might be a long line.  So I wolfed down some trail mix, pretzel nuggets and jerky chasing it with water.  I’d get more to eat after I crossed the Kennebec in the town of Caratunk. 

I was sad to say goodbye to my lakeside camping spot. 






The trail followed the Pierce Pond stream and was very pretty. 



The Kennebec is a large river controlled by a dam upstream. Forcing it is said to be very dangerous. So the Maine guide service kindly provided a free ferry service by Old Town canoe 



There were two homers ahead of me who I’d been traveling with for a few days. 



But my turn came  and across I went. 



It was a short walk up into Caratunk where I went to the Caratunk House B&B. 6 miles to lean to




It was a little piece of hiker heaven.  It only do they let you shower and do your laundry for $10 they have pulled pork sandwiches and milkshakes!  And they have a restock store just for hikers with all the best foods and hiker needs!  I got cleaned up and well fed I the four hours I spent there.

But then I had push on to the next shelter

Always some nice scenery.  





Tonight’s supper would be pretzel nugget and a handful of dried fruit as appetizer. The the main course



Beef strognoff and hot chocolate. 

9 miles
154 miles this trip
2045.4 total
145 miles to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment