Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Day 24 to White House landing

Fifth day in the 100 Mile Wildernesss. This morning I got up at 4:30 to leave at 5:30 am.  I wanted to get to White House Landing  in case I decided to make this day a “nero.”

I had 14 miles to do. But even so I had time to look around. 

One the the great tragedies of the North American forests is the total destruction of the American Beech tree by a type of fungus. Normally Beech bark is smooth and Grey. But this is what a diseased tree looks like. 



There is an evolution going on with the AT’s privies.  They must now all be wheelchair accessible. So no more like this ....


They must all look like this...



I got my first view of Mount Katahdin!



Oh and have mentioned the mushrooms. There are hundreds of varieties. Here’s a few ....








So I got to  the White House Landing dock (at 1:30 pm), which is about a mile from WHL. I used their two way radio to call them and in five minutes, Bill came to fetch me!





Coming up to White House Landing 



I spent a nice afternoon washing my clothes (by hand in a wash tube and chatting with the others. 

Supper was an huge hamburger and a 14” pizza (most of which I ate the next day. 

14 miles
2145.2 total AT Miles
45.7 to Katahdin 

No comments:

Post a Comment